Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I have been AWOL - Sorry!

I am so sorry that I haven't posted anything in almost two weeks! It has been so crazy busy here lately that I just haven't had the time or energy to put up a new post and some days I haven't even been able to get through all my emails.

This is going to be a hodge-podge post of what is on my spinning wheel and what is next in the spinning queue, llamas, foster kittens, etc.

Here is what is on my spinning wheel right now - Zinnias colorway on merino roving by Spinningawesomegood on Etsy. I split the roving into thinner strips and separated those strips into approximately equal weight halves that I will spin on two bobbins and then ply together to allow the bright colors to fall where they may - it should be a vibrant yarn!

Next up is a custom dyed superwash BFL roving that I dyed for a customer who wants to make socks out of the finished yarn. I don't have any photos of the colorway but it is in shades of Burgundy, Russet, Gold Ochre and Olive. It will be spun onto two bobbins and plyed to allow the colors to fall where they may and blend together throughout the length of yarn.

Then I have a custom order to spin the following roving - a merino/tencel roving that I dyed in my India Spices colorway. This yarn should have incredible drape and luster to it!

We have sheared a few more llamas in the past couple of weeks but our schedule has not allowed us to shear as many as we would have liked and we are quickly running out of time to get them sheared. I don't like to shear any later than mid-July because we start getting snow early (last year we got our first snow on the last day of summer) and we can get snow into May so I want to be sure that the llamas have enough fiber growth before the cold weather and snow hits.

We sold another llama this past weekend. This is Midnight's Amazing Grace - these photos are from when she was a yearling and she has grown a LOT but I don't have more recent photos to share. We sheared her for her new owners so she will be nice and cool at her new home. She has been reunited with her mother and one of her sisters at her new home so she is very happy where she is at now.

And I can't resist sharing a photo of Grace when she was a cria - sorry but her momma's behind is in the photo, not her best side!

And, no, that isn't dirt on Grace, she had gray on her face, legs and down the center of her back when she was young!

The foster kittens are growing like crazy and are slowly getting better adjusted to being around people and the dogs and other cats. They should be ready to be spayed and neutered within the next couple of weeks and ready for adoption to their new furever homes. Jellybean has been dubbed "dangerously cute" by our daughter, who has nicknamed Jellybean "The Geiger Tiger" because she purrs constantly!

Uncle Munchkin with Barbie, Kenny and Jellybean. Krissy was sleeping in the cube instead of in the tub with the rest of the crew. They love sleeping on the bags of wool!

So, that's some of what we've been up to lately. How is everyone else's summer going?!

6 comments:

brokenteepee said...

The nerve of you - being busy!
How dare you ;)

Split Rock Ranch said...

I know...how dare I be busy! No rest for the weary...

Ann said...

Love that rainbow of colors. Congrats on another sale. Kittens sure are cute. Hope things slow down a bit for you so you can get a breather in

Split Rock Ranch said...

Ann - I'm loving how the rainbow of colors is spinning up, too. I haven't had a chance to spin anything for DAYS though and can't wait to get back to it. We seriously need a breather some time soon. The kittens should be ready to be spayed or neutered soon and go to their new furever homes. We're getting very attached and cannot add any more cats so its time for these adorable babies to go soon before it breaks our hearts to see them go!

LetaMarieDesigns said...

Goodness, those rainbow of colors are Gorgeous!! And so are the pictures on your blog. What a lovely place you have. Leta

Sandy said...

LOVE the crayon colos in what looks like a flower. How much yardage will that end up being? Clueless on the terms you use when talking about spinning etc. How thick will it end up being? What will you price it at?

Sandy
Happy 4th of July to you and yours
Traveling Suitcase