Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

Cria Update - They're Growing Like Weeds!

The crias are growing like weeds. Phoenix will be five months old on November 4th - that's only two weeks away! He has been showing interest in the females already and while he cannot get them pregnant, he is "practicing" on a regular basis and really irritating some of them. He can be weaned at five months so I will probably put him in with Spencer (who will be a year old on October 30th) until they have bonded and then I'll turn them out with the small group of younger/calmer males to see if I can integrate them safely into that group.

Here is a recent photo of Phoenix.


Rosie is growing fast, too. She is now four months old so I will be able to wean her in a month but her mother usually weans her babies on her own so I'm hoping Rosie can just stay in with the female herd and the transition will be a smooth one. I notice that her mother is allowing her to nurse less and less so she is probably already starting to dry up.

Here is a photo I took a couple of days ago. I just love Rosie's face! Look at those dark circles around her eyes. And her darker muzzle. And those fuzzy ears!


Autumn has grown a lot. She is four weeks old today and is looking awesome. Her fiber is very lustrous and silky and I hope it stays that way.

And look at her face! Is that not adorable?!


And then I got a really cute photo of Rosie and Autumn together. They were watching Courtney, one of our cats, on the other side of the fence.

And here is the newest little male who is eight days old today. I think we're going to call him Time Traveler because his grandsire is Tempis Fugit (latin for Time Flies) and his sire is Viajero (Spanish for Traveler).

 And we are still waiting for Dazzle to have her cria. And that should be the last one for this year. If Dazzle gets much bigger, she's going to explode!

6 comments:

brokenteepee said...

Oh that is a great name!
They are all so adorable

Rose Clearfield said...

They are growing so fast! You're right that their little faces are really adorable.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

They are all cute, but that Rosie - she is REALLY something! What a face!

Split Rock Ranch said...

Pricilla: Thank you! I have to adjust the name some because there is apparently a llama breeder that has "claimed" the name Traveler so I need to add one word after "Time Traveler" in order to be able to use it.

Rose: Thanks! I just love their little faces. I wish they would let me smooch those cute faces!

Sparkle: I have to admit that Rosie is my favorite cria this year. Shhhh...don't tell the others, they'll be upset!

Lin said...

Oh, I would love to see them in person! Please give them a giant smoochie from Aunt Lin. :) (I'm sure they are gonna LOVE that! Hahaha!)

WillOaks Studio said...

What a wonderful new group added to your herd this summer--wow they are all so beautiful (esp their little faces!) Such pretty colors too! Good for you!!