Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm back in the saddle again!




After a long cold winter with plenty of slips and slides, bumps and turns, I'm back in the saddle again!

After Tango's death right before Christmas, my heart just wasn't in it any longer. Plus, we were so busy with all of Jackie's school activities (who knew the senior year was soooo busy?!) there just wasn't enough time nor energy to devote to blogging.

So, here's the scoop: since Jackie has moved to Florida to attend the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, I have "retired" from my "real job" as Office Manager at a home builder's office in town and I am doing the ranch and my fiber business full time! I am having some trouble getting into the groove - I feel like I'm chasing my tail most days - so many things I want to do and I don't know where to start sometimes!

I found a gorgeous heavy all wood easel (for $20!!!) that my wooden triangle loom fits perfectly on so I started a triangle shawl using some of my earliest handspuns in purples, greens and blues. Of course, that got set aside until another day but at least I know how to work the loom now and will be able to pick it back up when I'm ready. I set up the easel in the great room and turned on my VCR tape from Carol Leigh at Hillcreek Studios, then paused the tape as I managed to do what she was demonstrating, then just started to cruise. Now I'll need to watch the part on the tape where you do fringe and get it off the loom... but that's for another day.

Yesterday I tried a new handpainting technique on some beautiful yarns and they turned out beautifully! They're called "Peacock" - turquoise, teal and violet - on 100% llama yarn (2 skeins) and 50% Cashmere/50% Silk handspun. OMG did these turn out gorgeous! My photos do not do this yarn justice! I need to get some photos taken where they are not in full sunlight. All the luster in the yarn reflects the light and dulls the colors. They are far more rich in color than these photos show! These yarns are listed in my etsy store:



Today I hand painted some silk hankies in the Peacock colorway, along with a 4 oz hank of merino roving. More pics to follow!
It is good to be back - I promise to blog more often!





1 comment:

Jen Andersen said...

I'm glad to see your back and doing great! The peacock is beautiful. Great price on your cashmere/silk blend!