Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Little Precious - Kitten that is...


We volunteer as a foster family for our local no kill shelter. We take in small kittens until they are old enough or big enough to be spayed or neutered and then adopted. After Tango's sudden death right before Christmas, I needed something to help heal my heart and decided to call the shelter to see if they had any kittens that needed a foster home. They told me they had just gotten in two little calico kittens if I was interested. Woo hoo! I have always adored calico cats and jumped at the chance to foster these little girls. Kit Kat and Angel came to live with us on January 6th and I was immediately attracted to little Kit Kat but decided to rename her Precious. Precious and I bonded and when the time came to have them spayed and adopted, I could not let Precious go. Jim told me he would love for me to adopt Precious - happy Valentine's Day! So, we had Precious spayed and I immediately adopted her. Angel was adopted immediately, as well. Lots of people have asked me how I could possibly take these kittens into my home and care for them for weeks and then let them go. I tell them that I love being around kittens, I love helping to socialize them for their new homes and usually I'm ready for them to go to their new adoptive homes because I know that another litter of needy kittens will be at the shelter soon enough. I took a break from fostering after Precious and Angel due to Jackie's senior year schedule and my health issues. Now that I have retired from my job and am working from home full time on the ranch and my fiber business I have plenty of time for a couple of foster kittens. I called the shelter today to see if they had a couple of kittens for me and they will call me back when they have things sorted out. They have some sick kitties in the shelter right now and are trying to determine what it is before placing kittens in our home that might infect my other cats. I'll share pics of new fosters when I get them. I would like to encourage everyone to volunteer as a foster home for a needy agency in your area. Meanwhile, here's Precious in my fiber basket.

2 comments:

noricum said...

What a beautiful kitten!

Split Rock Ranch said...

She's the sweetest little thing. And the softest kitten I've ever touched! She's a spoiled little Diva, too. ;o)