Search This Blog

Monday, October 19, 2009

Hot off the Drum Carder - New Custom Fiber Blend Batts!

I've been busy today! I have had all of these fiber blends in mind for weeks but haven't been able to get them carded up. Today was finally the day. First is my Bountiful Harvest (above) made from wool, tussah silk, mohair top and alpaca - the wool, silk and mohair I dyed in different colors and the alpaca is a natural red/brown. I like how it turned out - it reminds me of harvest time, for sure!


Next is a blend from Superwash Wool top and Cultivated Mulberry Silk - in a base of jet black with blue, teal, burgundy, purple and copper as accents. I named this one Galaxy (above) because it reminds me of pictures I've seen of space and galaxies, stars, planets, etc..

And, last but not least, comes Cotton Candy in blues, pinks and white - just like cotton candy at the County Fair!! This one is also Superwash Wool but also has some coral bamboo carded in.

Because the last two blends are superwash wools, they would be perfect for spinning into sock yarns - you can then machine wash them!

If you like any of these but don't spin, I also offer spinning services. Just leave me a note in the comments section and I'll get back to you.

Today I also sat and watched a movie and spun up the second half of my BFL superwash roving and plyed it. Tomorrow I will get it off the wheel, steamed to set the twist and hopefully get photos taken (unless it is rainy like the forecast says it is going to be, in which case I'll probably wait to take photos.) My indoor photos leave a lot to be desired - all the photos in this post were taken indoors today with natural light from the skylight and some incandescent lighting. I don't like how they turned out but the wind was howling today so if I would have put these on the deck, they'd be in Kansas by now!

Thank you for stopping by!

6 comments:

storybeader said...

great names for your new blends. I love the Harvest colors - such a neat thing you're doing there. Love to see your ranch and the alpacas!

Daisy said...

Beautiful! My favorite is the Cotton Candy.

Ann said...

great colors, glad they didn't end up in Kansas...lol

brokenteepee said...

My heavens they are beautiful. It's almost like you could just frame them and hang them on the wall!

Jen Andersen said...

Gogeous! I just love all the dark colors, especially with the change in weather. I too have indoor photo challenges. Your pictues looked great!

The Silver Age Sara said...

If you could make something for me in the cotton candy and the one above it as well, I would be so thrilled.
Email me at redpinemountainatgmail.com