Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

More Fun Fringed Scarves!

I wanted to create some fun fringed scarves that weren't as labor intensive or as expensive as my usual Extreme Fringe and Fabulous Fringe scarves. I came up with these scarves made from handspun yarn for the base scarf - both in wool - and a poly faux feather yarn. I hand crocheted the base scarf - I don't use patterns - I simply crocheted about 160 loops, turn, single crochet across, turn, double crochet across, turn, single crochet across, turn, slip stitch across and tie off ends. Then I cut fringe approximately 14 inches long from the faux feather yarn skein - 160 lengths of fringe. I then hand tied one section of fringe to each and every double crochet stitch the entire length of the scarf - fold yarn in half, slip folded end under the double crochet stitch and pull the ends through the folded loop across the top of the double crochet stitch, pull tight.

The first scarf I crocheted using Noro Kureyon wool in red/brown/gold (it has some burgundy in there, too). The faux feather yarn color reminds me of mink so I called this scarf "Mink". "Mink" is available for $35 in our ArtFire store.


The next scarf I crocheted using a handspun thread plied merino yarn in Peacock colors. I used some faux feather yarn in matching Peacock colors. I love how this one looks! This is called....of course..."Peacock". Peacock is not yet listed in the store because I have someone interested in it but I have to drive to Colorado Springs so she can try it on to be sure she isn't allergic to the wool yarn used in the base scarf. If she is allergic to it I will list this scarf in the ArtFire store and will find a synthetic man-made yarn to make her a Peacock scarf that she can wear.

These scarves remind me of feather boa scarves. Only they are much more durable and extremely soft. And they shouldn't be too warm, either. The wool fringe scarves are fairly warm with all that wool fringe but these are much lighter weight and the poly doesn't hold heat and warm like wool does.

We should be having llama babies, called "crias", this spring starting hopefully in May, so I will finally have something besides yarn and scarves to talk about!

4 comments:

brokenteepee said...

You have been so busy!
I love the feathery look too. How do you keep the cats away...heh

Duni said...

Your work is amazing!

Split Rock Ranch said...

Pricilla: Yes, I have been busy! Everything was a lot of fun to make, too. The cats are not allowed in my fiber room(s) because they can't stay away. I don't know how many times I've found a cat snuggled into a bag of fleece that I've left on the floor after skirting some out to wash!
Duni: Thank you! You're so sweet. ;o)

Unknown said...

Nice work. Nice designs. It shows your hard work. Keep it going.
Market Research