Search This Blog

Friday, December 11, 2009

The Accidental Neckwarmer



If you remember my post last week about the skinny scarf I made for a friend's daughter, I mentioned in that post that I was also making fingerless mitts using the same yarns that I had used in the skinny scarf. While making the first mitt, I made a mistake in reading the pattern and kept adding a set of pattern stitches to each row so each successive row was a bit longer than the row before it. I wasn't paying any attention to it because I was crocheting while I was working on emails and IMing my daughter so I wasn't really focused on my project. When I realized what I had done, I didn't want to frog (rip out) the entire thing because I had used four different yarns in 6 sets of pattern rows and had already crocheted 5 inches of the mitt. When I laid it out on the desk though, I realized that if I added a border around the entire thing and made the bottom of it even longer with a couple of extra rows, I could then crochet a little loop and sew on a button to make a gorgeous little cowl/neckwarmer.


I was so excited when I realized that I had finally found a pattern for making a delicate looking cowl/neckwarmer that is easy to make. I'm going to make another one using a variegated yarn to see how that looks - it will be easier because I won't have all the different yarns to deal with, I can just keep on crocheting so it will work up really fast. Like I always say, there are no mistakes, just art you didn't plan on!

12 comments:

brokenteepee said...

It IS lovely. It looks almost Victorian.

Mistakes often are the best creations.

Lenox Knits said...

How funny! I do really like it. It is the perfect accident.

BeadedTail said...

I agree, that looks like the perfect accident! Love it!

Melissa B. said...

Love this! You are certainly one crafty gal...Listen, I also wanted to thank you soooooooo much for stop­ping by on my Spe­cial SITS Day. It’s taken me a while to get back, but I hope to see you around the blo­gos­phere again soon!

Ann said...

I wish my accidents looked like that. That is just adorable.

Regina said...

Brenda this is simply awesome!! I love it and so agree that it has a true Victorian look to it. Any chance ya might be selling these?

I wish I lived closer so you could teach me. This is one craft that I just can't seem to get a handle on...or should that be needle on..LOL!!!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharfest!!!

Hugs,
Regi

Jen said...

What a beautiful mistake! I knit a little but can't follow directions so I only make scarves. There are hundreds around the house. No one wears them however, not even me.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Brenda,
It's absolutely beautiful and so practical too!

DayPhoto said...

You really are very talented!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

WillOaks Studio said...

I really like this design a lot! Much more my style than those big thick things on the front page of Etsy! Love the natural colors, too.

vickie said...

Wonderful accident, lol!

Kaye said...

I love your neck warmer!
Nana Kaye