Friday, December 11, 2009
The Accidental Neckwarmer
If you remember my post last week about the skinny scarf I made for a friend's daughter, I mentioned in that post that I was also making fingerless mitts using the same yarns that I had used in the skinny scarf. While making the first mitt, I made a mistake in reading the pattern and kept adding a set of pattern stitches to each row so each successive row was a bit longer than the row before it. I wasn't paying any attention to it because I was crocheting while I was working on emails and IMing my daughter so I wasn't really focused on my project. When I realized what I had done, I didn't want to frog (rip out) the entire thing because I had used four different yarns in 6 sets of pattern rows and had already crocheted 5 inches of the mitt. When I laid it out on the desk though, I realized that if I added a border around the entire thing and made the bottom of it even longer with a couple of extra rows, I could then crochet a little loop and sew on a button to make a gorgeous little cowl/neckwarmer.
I was so excited when I realized that I had finally found a pattern for making a delicate looking cowl/neckwarmer that is easy to make. I'm going to make another one using a variegated yarn to see how that looks - it will be easier because I won't have all the different yarns to deal with, I can just keep on crocheting so it will work up really fast. Like I always say, there are no mistakes, just art you didn't plan on!