Search This Blog

Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Feature


Welcome to a new weekly (or perhaps bi-weekly, depending on my schedule, etc.) addition to my blog! This is Friday Feature where I will feature another artist or blogger. My very first Friday Feature is Inspiration by Karen. I met Karen when she purchased my Critter Creator Kit fibers and she started making these adorable needle felted dogs. Above is a custom Sheltie she created for someone who had lost their beloved dog and wanted a remembrance to cherish (real dog photo right, felted sculpture left, above). Below is another photo of the finished creation (real dog photo top, felted sculpture bottom, below). You, too can send Karen a photo of your pet (dog or cat) and she can create a lifelike sculpture for you!


1. How did you get started needle felting?

A friend told me about Etsy because she knew I made the nice Adirondack ladies coats...so I opened up a shop there, and that night I found the needle felted stuff and I couldn't stop looking at it and wishing I could do it. Finally had to buy a book and teach myself, so I did, then I met you and bought your critter pack which REALLY got me started in the dogs and then from there I went absolutely crazy doing every animal and bird I could find the time to create!

2. How long have you been needle felting?

I have been doing it for about a year and a half

3. Where do you get your ideas and inspiration for your work?

Everywhere and anywhere I see nature and animals, some right in my back yard, others from all of the years of hiking and snow shoeing in the wilderness with my sons, especially Zack - he used to cast all of the animal tracks he could find, so we spent a lot of time in the woods! I am at home in nature, I feel complete when I am outside just looking at the awesome Universe and wildlife that God has given us.

4. How much time does an average piece take to complete?

Average design (seeing as how they are all of my own designs) takes me anywhere from 20 to 35 hours to create!


Here is where you can find more of Karen's beautiful work:

http://inspirationbykaren.etsy.com


http://www.flickr.com/photos/inspirationbykaren

http://inspirationbykaren.blogspot.com


The story on my Needle Felted Dogs was featured in our local newspaper on the Arts page, here is the link if anyone is interested in reading about me:

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2008/06/01/ae/today/13635720.prt~

And the final question - what is your favorite item in your etsy store right now?

I would have to say the Bald Eagle! I loved the way it came out so real, I took it in our local town hall to show the girls and one of the men that works there thought it was a real eagle because I had it on my hand like one would hold a real bird!! It was pretty cool!


10 comments:

storybeader said...

Wow - takes a lot of time. Don't know a thing about felting, but they're beautiful! We had a sheltie when I was growing up, and the finished piece is so adorable. Love the little scene, too!

BeadedTail said...

Great feature! Needle felting is something I have no clue about but I certainly love the finished product - beautiful!

brokenteepee said...

Wow! Brilliant replicas....

Daisy said...

Those are really beautiful! The little woodland scene is so cool.

WillOaks Studio said...

I must say the Sheltie caused me a serious double-take!! Had to read about it to learn the felted one wasn't a real dog...impressive!! karen

Audrey said...

Oh my gosh!! At first glance I thought the dogs were real!! LOL

Lin said...

Hey, cool! I love to see what people do with different mediums! I always say that we have six senses--Number six being the "art" sense! I can't believe how much the little dog looks like its model. Wow.

Unknown said...

The little Shelte dog is is just gorgeous. Very talented young lady!

Meghann said...

WOW! I would so not have the patience to do that - and the detail! Wow they are amazing at what they do :)
Great feature!

Inspiration By Karen Needle Felted Sculptures of Dogs, Cats, Birds, Wildlife, Portraits, Paintings said...

wow thank you Brenda for featuring my work in your blog, and thank you all for the very nice complements on my sculptures!
Blessings
Karen Clothier