Search This Blog

Friday, May 8, 2009

Latest handspun yarn fresh off the spinning wheel





My latest spin was a 100% merino wool roving from CJ Kopec Creations in the colorway Copenhagen. (Shown above, middle photo) It consisted of BLACK, PEACH, RUSTY ORANGE, KHAKI and DUSTY GREEN. I split this roving down the middle - 1/2 of it was the peach, rusty orange and a smidgen of black (WARM), the other 1/2 was the khaki, dusty green (which is more of a blue than green) and black (COOL). I spun each half onto its own bobbin and wasn't sure if plying a cool with a warm would work. (See the two colors on bobbins above, bottom photo.) I started plying and OMG the more I did, the better I liked it. This is one awesome skein of yarn. Nice and soft with lovely luster to it.

I ended up with a beautiful skein 192 yards and 3.8 ounces. This is a worsted weight yarn with 808 yards per pound. Hand wash cool, lay flat to dry. (Finished skein shown above, top photo)


I listed this skein in my Etsy store yesterday morning and went to do something else. Came back to the computer and wanted to check my store and the yarn was gone. I thought perhaps I had somehow messed up and the listing didn't get done after all. I then checked my SOLD items and OMG - it was already SOLD! Woo hoo! I'm going to order more of this roving because I love how it turned out. I can only hope that I can be as successful in my next attempt at spinning it. I think it would make an awesome scarf with matching fingerless mitts.

4 comments:

Homestead Wool & Gift Farm said...

Ooh la la! Love the yarn- such wonderful colors! AND congrats on the quick sale! Keep up your happy spinning! Smooches from the sheep!

Anonymous said...

It's lovely! I love that kind of yarn (not a spinner, so don't laugh) that's twisted with two colors together like that. Using cool and warm colors together always works. They are complimentary colors, and the brightness of the orange exites the desaturated blue:) Great work!

flit said...

ooh...that's just gorgeous yarn

Liz said...

Lovely yarn!